Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney

I was just fired from a job. Not enough time here to give details.

I was just fired from a job. Not enough time here to give details. I live in pennsylvania. When can I start collecting unemployment? I was employed since May 2011
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If you are eligible, you may start collecting unemployment after the one-week waiting period expires. Your application may not be backdated, so, typically, a person wants to file as soon as possible.

However, eligibility depends on a couple of factors. First, you must be unemployed through no fault of your own. That means that you were let go without cause, or that you quit for good cause. So, the reason for the termination is relevant. You also must have sufficient earnings in the base period. To find out whether you're eligible, you'll want to fill out an application.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do you define that. An employer can state any reason for firing someone.
Yes, he can. But if the employee is denied unemployment, and he appeals, the employer will have to prove that the employee was terminated for cause. There would be a hearing, and the employee could provide evidence that he was terminated for some other reason.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I signed a non compete with this company and it is for two years. Is it enforceable when they have terminated me?
The agreement is enforceable, as long as it is reasonable in scope and duration. Two years is usually considered reasonable. If they stop you from working anywhere in the world, that may not be reasonable. But if it limits the geographic location in which you can work, then it is enforceable as long as it's reasonable. The fact that they terminated you wouldn't render the agreement invalid unless there is a clause in it that specifically says so.