JBaxLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in business formation and licensing issues

my company have a customer that have not paid invoices with

my company have a customer that have not paid invoices with total amount of $100K.
we have a verbal agreement that they paying what's due after 90 days, we have about $70K from June 2011 back and another $30K from July to the present. i don't have any work order sign or similar, i used to get paid late all the time but they are pushing me with this payment for a long time. what can i do and if i will take them to court what do i need?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 5 years ago.

I am an expert at JustAnswer and will be assisting you. I would like to address a few important issues before answering your question.

Please note, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, no legal advice is being provided, no attorney-client relationship will be established and only general information is provided so that you may analyze your situation.

I see that you have a questions about unpaid invoices owed to your business. It would be important to obtain as much documentation as possible. For example, any records showing the delivery or pick-up of goods. Where there is a lack of documentation, sometimes it is possible to have the other party sign an acknowledgment that the debt is owed.

The only route to force payment of a debt is to obtain a civil judgment by filing a civil suit. Once a judgment is obtained, that may be used to satisfy the debt against property or funds held by the debtor.

Please feel free to follow-up. These detailed matters are difficult to address in this context
because of the vast number of variables. Sometimes the back and forth dialogue can help us
sort through those issues. My goal is leave you with a satisfactory response.

Please do not forget to accept the answer if the information provided has been satisfactory to this point. We can continue our dialogue with additional follow-up questions even after you press the accept button. Last and most importantly, please be so kind as to leave me positive feedback.

Thank you so much
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How long can take from the moment i file a suit to the judgment?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How much will be my fee +- for lawyer
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 5 years ago.
I appreciate your patience.

As to the time frame, that largely depends on whether the other party fights the claim. It the other party asserts a defense and a hearing proceeds then the process could take multiple months. If the party does not contest the claim, a default judgment could be obtained very quickly. Once a judgment is obtained, it may take several months or more to locate the debtors property and then seek to satisfy the judgment against that property.

As to cost, that also depends on whether the other party defends itself. The costs could be anywhere from just a few thousand dollars to tens of thousands of dollars if the matter is drawn out.

Thank you