Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

business and personal law question

I am writing to ask a few questions regarding an online website business that I will be starting. The website will be an auction site where people can bid on different IT services.

1. How do I protect my website/business idea, so it won't get used by someone else?

2. I need to have my website developed my another company. How do I protect my interests from the company that will be developing my website?

The last question I have is a friend of mine is asking me for money to pay for his medical school. He mentioned that instead of giving him a loan, I could get 5% of his future earnings for 20 years.

1. How would I go about doing this? What type of contract would I need?

2.  How would enforce collection of funds?

3.  How would I determine how much he is making?

Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
1) Legally an idea is not capable of protection by patent, copyright or trademark. This is a principle of free trade and commerce held up by the US Supreme Court. Thus, I am afraid you just have to keep plugging away with your site without any protection of your idea. You can protect the name of your site with a trademark, you can protect your website design with a copyright, but the idea itself is not capable of being protected. Once you actually develop the site, you can patent the process itself, but that does not mean someone cannot come up with some other way to do the same thing.

2) You make the other company sign a non-disclosure/confidentiality agreement and non-compete agreement, which is where they agree not to reveal your idea or use your idea in commerce to compete against you.

II.

No matter what your friend calls this it is a loan and the fact he is giving you 5% of his earnings for 20 years that is a loan to repay your money you are financing for his school.

1) This is a loan agreement and you would need a loan contract.

2) You would only be able to enforce collection by lawsuit if he does not pay unless he has some property he can give you to secure the debt.

3) You need to require submission of his W-2 forms or 1099 forms or tax returns to verify income and you also need to determine if you would be taking 5% of his gross income or net income (after taxes).

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”