Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

Hi...I am trying to make my small baking business legit. Should

Hi...I am trying to make my small baking business legit. Should I register name with the state or just acquire a Business Registration ? Certificate. What would be the cheapest way since I would like to do Food Festivals, Craft shows, etc.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
The best way for something you are talking about is forming a Limited Liability Company, which you can do on the Secretary of State's Website, and then applying for a EIN from the IRS website. This gives you protection if something happens at one of these places where you are doing business and someone wants to sue you. Also, the LLC is simple and it is a flow through entity which allows you to claim profits and losses right on your personal taxes. Also, having an EIN allows you to pay your sales taxes without having your SSN in the middle of everything.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”