Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

I am founding a non profit in NY State. I went on Legalzoom

I am founding a non profit in NY State. I went on Legalzoom to get the paperwork and it says that you need a lawyer in NY. Then I went to the NY State website and it seems quite straight forward.
The foundation will do research on autism treatments, diagnostics and prevention with the objective of getting coverage by private or public health insurance.
What is it about NY that requires an attorney? Can I just do it myself?
Thank you
My opinion is that you are not required to have an attorney to start a non-profit.

Starting & Building a Nonprofit
A Practical Guide

was written specifically to help people do this without an attorney, see
http://www.nolo.com/products/starting-and-building-a-nonprofit-SNON.html

That book is probably available at your local library or County law library.

I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
NY State Attorneys only please.

I am admitted in NY and the advice the prior attorney gave you is correct, you do not need an attorney to form a non profit. Organizing the non profit is not too difficult. However, being non profit does not make you tax exempt. For that you have to apply to the IRS and that is somewhat more complicated and an attorney would be advisable but even that can be done without an attorney.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience: 30 years of corporate, litigation and international law