Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I am a co-founder of the Edison Symphony. It never had a 501

I am a co-founder of the Edison Symphony. It never had a 501 C so the NJ Arts council does not recognize it. It does not receive grant money. Just the President of the Arts Society used to raise money and fund the concerts. The Arts Society is about to become volunteer only and he may step down and we have not had concerts since 2009. I would like to Trademark the name and get it a 501 C can I do that legally once the organization goes volunteer?
Yes, if the Arts Society is no longer interested in making any claims to the name of the symphony, then you could file to trademark the name. If they are not using the name you are looking to trademark and have no interest in doing so you can file NOW for the trademark and you can also form a 501c for the corporation.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you so much.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I want to hire you to be my lawyer. Is there a way I could contact your law office.

Thank you,

Judy

The site rules strictly prohibit us from taking any clients from this site, so it would cause me to be removed from this site if I were to do so. Thank you for the offer, but I am sorry I cannot do so.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thank you.