MDLaw
MDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in business law, contract law and related matters.
16277701

I was emailed through CareerBuilders concerning a contractor

I was emailed through CareerBuilders concerning a contractor job. I checked to see that the comany was registered in the US, read the contract and the fee agreement and so did my husband. In order to do my job I had to open an account at a bank or use one of mine. I opened a small busines account with th company BKO on it. A company called Capital RESource deposited four deposits over a period of seven days. I was then to send a poertion of the funds deposited each time to a person in the Ukraine. I used the debit card from US Band to do this and went through Western Union at Krogers. One day while checking on the account online, something looked odd. I called the branch and notified them of it. Now they have all my accounts (3) frozen, sent me a letter dated 9/22/11 saying my accounts would be closed on 9/26/11. On 9/28/11 Prudential sent my disability check to US Bank and theym deposited it, weven though they said the accounts were closed. My case worker at Prudential called US Bank with me on the line to inquire how they could take their deposit after they closed the account and told them it was for disability.
WHAt I would liketo know is id they can take all the money I had in the bank including my SS and my Prudential money. I have spoken with the FBI and they said they would see if they could help me since BKO has two people in New York. The FBI said I was not in trouble but I would be held responsible for the eitghheen thousand dollars. I am willing to make payments but i cannot afford for them to take all mym disability money, as I have medicines I have to take or I will die. I also do not understand why US Bank, Western Union, and now supposedly Bank of America was not aware anything fraudulen ty was going on No one was there to [protect me at all, yet they have stopped credit card payments to legitiment vendor on my persoal account in the past until I called to verify them. Any help, ideas, or suggestions?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MDLaw replied 5 years ago.
What is your legal question, please?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is the bank allowed to take my Socisl Security and/or my Prudential disability income checks?
Expert:  MDLaw replied 5 years ago.
Assuming the money is not commingled, then no, normally they would not be allowed to garnish your SS income.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. Otherwise, please remember to hit the green ACCEPT button as that is the only way that we experts get compensated for our time, expertise, and research. We do not get paid by the website and so we rely on customers to honor the honor system and accept our responses so that we can continue to provide this service to people such as yourself. When leaving feedback, please also remember that we experts do not make the laws. We only report what the laws are and so please do not shoot the messenger.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The funds are not comingled. What about Prudential disability income?
Expert:  MDLaw replied 5 years ago.
The same would apply.