Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Counselor at Law.

I am a california contractor who may be facing binding arbitration

I am a california contractor who may be facing binding arbitration for a construction contract. Once a judgement is entered if any, will there be any future possiblity of claims made against me?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Generally speaking, no. A binding arbitration should preclude any future legal action in regards XXXXX XXXXX same matter unless the other party can prove that the arbitration was unfair, and/or one-sides, and/or that they were coerced into signing (very hard to do ).

A standard arbitration settlement agreement should have a clause that has both parties waive future legal action in this or any directly-related legal matter.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you until you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you desire clarification.