Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

Worked within a contract of my LLC with a state agency through

Customer Question

Worked within a contract of my LLC with a state agency through June 30, 2011 with large consortium group approving of execution of the previous year, and willing to support contract for year 2011-12. But as with an identical contract a year earlier a party with the state agency would not sign the contract even though all consortium parties and myself keep communications, planning, implementation of plans/execution in process without a state representative's signature on the contract which I had signed. The implied acceptance by the representative and services receiving consortium came to an abrupt end when I received in early August 2011 a letter from the fiscal agent of the consortium telling me the contract would not be continuing and there would not be compensation. So having provided services for approximately 40 days with express plans into late 2011; do I have any opportunity for recovery or enforcing the 2011/12 contract? Federal funds to reimburse the state are in place.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 3 years ago.

bizlaw :

Does the consortium want you to be on the project or at least compensated for the time you have put in?

bizlaw :

If you can get the approval of the consortium to pay you and they can recover that would be the best course of action. It is difficult to recover on quantum meriut against the government because if there is a statutory procedure to follow before the state can pay, it will supersede even a well founded claim in quantum meriut.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Customer :

The implied acceptance of the "in-hand" and signed by myself contract; and approved of by on its face as written by the mutual inputs by the fiscal agent, and the services-receiving consortium members through their continued evaluations, communications, planning, implementation of plans/execution in process created the quantum meriut status.

bizlaw :

Yes that is coirrect but generally a government agency is not bound to pay on quantum meriut because it must pay based on appropriated funds and contractural procedures that generally require that it go through its own approval process which requires it to execute the contract to be bound.

Customer :

What I am likely going to have to swallow is what the District Court Judge said in the previous case and parelleling circumstances: "Show me a signature of the second party, though receiving services of value, and I will order the dollars of value up to the receipt of the letter of quit be paid." Though being a contract for the same services and intent of purpose as the year 2020/11, the continuation of the activities does not then constitute and implied contract while I possess documentation of the consortium members' wishes and pleasure? I very much appreciate your response, but the state was to carryout the wishes of the consortium. Will see how the billings for the quantum meriut is addressed in my situation verses the prior case.

Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience: 30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
I was in a similar situation in NY and the company provided half of year of services for 9,000 kids and we did not get a dime. Good luck. thank you for accepting the answer.