Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Attorney
Experience:  25 years practicing law

How do I respond to a Lawsuit Notice

How do I respond to a Lawsuit Notice
Submitted: 5 years ago via RocketLawyer.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
What is the nature of the lawsuit?

Is this against a corporation or an individual?

When were the papers served?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Stated money owed from my Corporation for advice. The advice given was to an Employee wantng to purchase my Corporation.

Papers served three days ago.

Are you saying you gave your employee advice and the employee is suing your corporation for the advice? Could you provide some more detail as to what happened?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Employee went to Law Firm to seek advice for him to purchase my Company. I knew nothing of them going to the law firm.

Company purchase failed, now their Law Firm is expecting my Company to pay for their advice to employee..

Dear JACUSTOMER - I see no basis for such a suit unless the employee was authorized to hire the law firm on behalf of your company. The biggest problem I see is that you cannot personally represent or defend your corporation so you will need to hire a lawyer to defend the suit. Obviously the law firm knows this and is probably trying to get some money out of you in order to avoid having to hire a lawyer or have a judgment against your company. I'm not certain of the amount of money involved but if it isn't worth hiring an attorney then my suggestion would be to file a written complaint with the Bar Association for unethical conduct of the law firm. If you or your company didn't hire them they have no business sending you a bill or trying to collect a fee from a non client.I have included the website for the Bar Association below for your convenience.