Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

I live in Texas, I am starting a private club (with monthly

Customer Question

I live in Texas, I am starting a private club (with monthly membership dues) this club is being formed to improve social welfare in America. this private club is meeting weekly and afterwards I am planning on holding a poker tournament. I know the Texas law in regards XXXXX XXXXX I have read it many times. I just need help with it in regards XXXXX XXXXX terms. so please do not just copy and paste the law like the last lawyer did. I THINK these poker tournaments are legal because
A) The game is in a private place (Members Only)
B) The house does not make a profit off the game (no money is needed for the buy-in and only prizes are being won)
C) it's a clean, fair game.

The biggest question is, what is considered a "private place" my assumption correct that because this tournament is only avail. to members that it is a "private place"?....

Thank you
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
First, if you have a private club, you can form a 501c LLC under the IRS rules and then as a non-profit private club the games are legal and as long as it is a private club, non-profit and the house makes no profit from the game it is legal. The private place is one where only members have access.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”