Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
17027240

My husband and I joined this debit settlement company (CAG)

My husband and I joined this debit settlement company (CAG) about a year ago. I keep getting letters from companys we owe money to and just yesterday I got a letter stating they are going to start garnishing my husbands checks. We have tryed to contact them many times to find out what is happening with our account after many attenpts they answered. They told me we have not got enough money in our account and until we do there is nothing they can or will do. Well I found another settlement company and they told me that NO debit settlement company can take out thier fees before they settle a debit. Well CAG took and are still taking out what they say we owe them (their fees). I told them when I got ahold of them that I wanted all my money back because they did NOTHING for us and they told me that all I would get back was a part of what we paid them. Can they do that and what can we do?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good morning. You should send them a certified, return receipt requested letter demanding that they refund your money in total within a short specified period of time. Inform them that if your demand is not timely complied with, you will have no choice but to file a suit against them for your damages. Be sure to specifically mention that you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as a deceptive trade practice action, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to 3 times that as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have different intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply general information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.