Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.

I am currently running at coffee shop. The lease is 5-year

I am currently running at coffee shop. The lease is 5-year and now i have been here for more than 2 years. This is a medical building. While i rent here, there are lots of offices and lots of patients. Now, some offices are closed and less patients. The office closed is not only because of the economy, it is also because of the poor maintenance of the building. There are no handicap door for wheelchair patients and like my coffee shop, there is no AC, although they said they have but the temp is always above 75F. Currently, Is there any way to break the lease without penalty?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
Of course, there is no way we can say for sure without examining the written contract as well as thoroughly evaluating all of the facts which is impossible on here. However, just from the facts you've given me it appears likely that you could sue to break the lease but you need to do something first.

You can sue someone for "constructive eviction" and get out of a lease and even, in some cases, make them pay for your move. Constructive eviction is when they fail to make repairs or keep the property up in such a way as to make it not fit for use. Examples of this could be no A/C which means no customer, roof leaking, bugs, the wheelchair access may be an issue, etc.

Before you try this you need to make a list of the problems with the building and have a lawyer send a letter to the landlord stating that you need these items fixed within a certain period of time or you will consider it a constructive eviction. Don't try to send the letter yourself because it has to be worded just right.

In addition, the lawyer can also hint in the letter that if they will let you out of the leas you'll just go away. Many landlords will take this option.

I will be offline for the rest of the night but if you have any follow up questions I'll pick up again in the morning.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.