Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

We have a contract with a lawn care company to mow grass and

We have a contract with a lawn care company to mow grass and shovel snow etc. He is paid on a monthly basis. If he fails to provide all the services stated in the contract can we hold back funds until he fuldills his contract obligations?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
You first need to give him written notice of the breach of the contract and an opportunity to correct the breach and then you can tell him you will be taking a deduction in payments or terminating the contract for breach in their failure to provide services contracted for.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This would be common and legal practice to give written notice and then hold back fees until the problems are corrected? I will be giving this advice to a condo board that I am part of.
Yes, you have to give written notice of the breach and opportunity for them to correct their breach and then you would be able to withhold if they do not cure the breach in a reasonable time.