Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

I had my car towed by AAA to a honda dealership about 7 months

I had my car towed by AAA to a honda dealership about 7 months ago. I was expecting my income tax refund to pay for a timing belt and distributer. When I spoke by phone to the service person she advised me what was needed and how much it wou,d cost. i advised her i was expecting the refund check and would call her once received to proceed with repair. she advised me she would not be able to even start on the car til the following week as the part had to be ordered. well that same day my refund check was offset by the fed govt. for an old student loan. I immedialtely called the dealership to advise them not to repair car i was sending AAA to pick up the car. Well the original person i spoke to was with another customer so i explained that i was not getting the money and i wld hv the car picked up to bring it home. I had never went to the dealership all of this was done by phone. As it was a weekend AAA said it was going to be several hours before they could pick up the car ND A FRIEND OF MINE OFFERED TO SELL ME A CAR HE HAD for a good price. i went to the dealership, advised the service dept i needed my tag for my newly purchased car and they let me remove the tag i also advised them AAA would be by to pick up the car. about 4 hours later aaa called me and said they say u owe 1000.00+ the car is repaired. i was furious i went to dealership and the original service person says she didnt get the message not to repair the car i found that hard to believe as even the service guy that took the message said to me o yea your the one who didnt get income tax... well needless to say they still have my car and i dont know what to do
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Good morning. You should send them a certified, return receipt requested letter explaining the history in detail and demanding that they immediately release your car at no cost to you within a short specified period of time. Inform them that if your demand is not timely complied with, you will have no choice but to file a suit against them. They had no authorization to repair the car; in fact they had direct orders not to yet did anyway. You'll do fine in court if it comes to that.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have different intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply general information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Attorney
Experience: 32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank u soooo much i will do the letter today