Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

For years my boss (owner) has been committing hostile work

For years my boss (owner) has been committing hostile work environment, in recent 2 years he has become brazen about it. I have told him that is wrong and he could get into legal trouble. I am a department manager in a warehouse building, so my department is in very close proximity of the department he manages.

Legally, am I require to implement an anti sexual harassment policy (currently no policy exist)?

If I don't implement a policy, can I be held legally resposible PERSONALLY?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Your employer should have an anti discrimination /harassment policy, but there is no law mandating it be in writing. Government Code 12950.1 mandates all employers with 50+ employers have to provide mandatory training on sexual harassment prevention to supervisors every 2 years. If the employer is not complying you can file a complaint with fair employment and housing and they can fine the employer. However I will say that as manager you are not liable personally for your employer's conduct. If he is causing a hostile environment based on age/race/sex/disability then it is the business that is liable and not you personally. As long as you are not the one committing the hostile acts you are in the clear and it is not your responsibility.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”