BizLawyerNate, Attorney
Experience:  7 Years of Legal Experience Representing Small Business Owners

I would like to incorporate a family business, which has been

I would like to incorporate a family business, which has been ran as a sole propietorship the last decade...

How can I start this paperwork?

If anyone knows, please let me know.

Thanks for your time.
Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

Before I suggest what business form is best, XXXXX XXXXX of business is it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is a small automotive shop with one employee on the paperwork (the mechanic)...

I was thinking about either an LLC, S or C Corporation, but not sure which is best..

An LLC would be best because it requires fewer formalities than a corporation. Depending on what your accountant advises, you would either file taxes as a sole proprietorship would or you can elect S status and be treated the same as an S-corp for tax purposes.

Forming the LLC is relatively easy. You must file two forms, the Articles of Organization (LLC-1) and the Certificate of Information (LLC-12). Those forms (with instructions) can be found here

You also need to apply for an FEIN from the IRS for the business. You will need this to file taxes and to open a bank account.,,id=102767,00.html

As always, I will be happy to follow up with you if you have additional questions. In the meantime, please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for answering your question. Of course, if you really liked what I could help you with, please consider a Bonus, too!