Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
18572087

I, like a fool, fell for a telephoneoffer to lessen my interest on existing accounts. I a

I, like a fool, fell for a telephoneoffer to lessen my interest on existing accounts. I actually fell for it, against my better judgement, and now they are charging me $844.00 for something I find I could have done myself. HELP!! The company is called Link Solutions
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I happen to be a Pennsylvania licensed expert.

I am sorry that you are in this situation. Please do not feel foolish, you are definitely not alone. When did this "offer" take place? What was promised? Did you pay via credit card? Did you get a written contract in the mail?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The offer took place, by phone on Aug. 29, 2011. What she proposed was a three way call to my Discover, which was the bill I wanted to pay off. She said(call was supposedly recorded) that I could not do this myself, as Discover would not allow it without her help. I am to get a "courtesy check " in the mail from Discover, make it out in the amount of $6,771.00 and deposit it in my checking acct. Then send to Discover a check for $5927 (which is the amount of my balance) and the remaining $844.00 to Sears, who they were billing for their payment for the transaction.

Oh wow.

Did you end up paying anything for this service, and did you get this check? If you did get it, did you cash it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I have not yet received the check. It was to come from Discover, who I called, told them the story, and they immedietely changed my acct. no. The problem is, they have my Sears acct. number
Thank you for your follow-up.

As you no doubt suspect, you were a victim of a scam. Not to worry, so long as you never receive such a check, they would be unable to gain access to your funds (or make dubious charges). Contact Sears early in the morning, explain that you were likely a victim of a scammer, ask if any suspicious charges came up, and change your account. If there are charges, dispute them right away.

The way this scam typically works is that you obtain a "check" from the other party that you deposit. The second you deposit it, they withdraw the funds back, while you forward the fictitious funds to the next account, and send them the small withholding. You are then stuck with an overdrawn account, a check for the funds that you sent you become responsible for, and they obtain that cash for themselves. Luckily you reported it in time, so there is very little chance of this coming back against you.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello-- I was not to get the check from Link Solutions, but Discover, who she talked to when I was on the phone. I talked to Sears, and they said the charge was not "posted" yet, but they had contacted Sears on the 29th.
Thank you for your follow-up.

I am aware, you were being requested to over-extend your Discover charge that would ultimately be sent to a fictious account and saddle you with the debt. Explain the situation to Sears, also claim that the company (Link Soluations) itself is unaware of this transaction and they also believe it to be an imposter, and have the company (Sears) place that debt on dispute.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Why wouldn't Sears get in touch with the company themselves. They said they acted on the charge(Link solutions) on 29th. It will be posted on my bill tomorrow. What can I do about that? I'm 763 yrs old and have never done anything this dumb in my life.
Thank you for your follow-up.

Sears does not immediately contact anyone, they start an investigation and then pursue the claim against the party who made the charge. As I stated above, the best option is to dispute the charge and let the lender investigate it directly. At this point that it all that you can do, as you would have to wait until the lender completes their investigation.

Good luck.

PS. I will be retiring for the morning, and if you have additional follow-up questions, I promise to get to them in the afternoon.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Run my own successful business/contract law practice.