Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I have music/ entertainment question. I cannot see a section

I have music/ entertainment question. I cannot see a section re: entertainment law on iPad I am using. May have cut off before. Anyway. I sang three songs(recorded) for a professional woman in her studio. I am not professional yet. She said I get 5% or singing them if they sell. And that would include royalties etc. However we did not write up a contract yet. I also since wrote lyrics , melody and sang another song with her , and she did the chord structure,background music. How much % would I get then? I would say 50% for that. Do you think the percentage pay is fair and please help me get a contract? Are there ones online. How would I find it?
Thank You
Caroyn
Category: Business Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Has the music been recorded? The track(s) cut??

And what are you getting 5% of exactly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. Yes the music is recorded in her professional studio. Three songs of which she wrote and mixed and I sang . They will be submitted for cable tv shows, commercials. She has sold a few prior to me singing for them that sold. There is a chance too that someone famous for example would choose one of them and then that would be bug money
She and I discussed that I will not get paid up front but I will sign some kind of contract with her that I shall get 5% of anything that happens with each song I sang for her. Royalties forever I would always get 5% for my singing of the song. Whatever she gets I get 5% of it.

The song I actually wrote with her and sang too , she did all instrumental I would say 50% of this one

But this is the key...she has the music...and as of now you have not contract?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did copyright my one song. She said she will sign contract. I'm new so I did not give it to her up front. But she says (and we agreed on 5%) that we will sign something . Get it notarized. I want to find something to have her sign
Got it

You need a contract.

This is not something I can do for you...but I will opt out and allow others to assist

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. So are others looking at this now? And are there music / entertainment experts here? Thank you
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Here is a SAMPLE MECHANICAL LICENSE which is used for the performance rights of the song you performed. Here is a SAMPLE SONGWRITER AGREEMENT

However, while you can modify these contracts for your needs, they are no substitution for sitting with a local attorney to draft one specifically to your needs. As far as percentages, the standard percentages vary depending on the number of performances of the song and the number of copies of recordings and you would need to get current rates from the Songwriters Guild or ASCAP or BMI.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.