Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.

I make ribbon graphics and I was contacted by a women who is

I make ribbon graphics and I was contacted by a women who is claiming I am violating her Intellectual Property rights. We both sale of Here is the thing we both get are pictures off of to put on our ribbon sheets. She made this Smurfs ribbon and I so did I but it does not look like hers yes we used the same people but my ribbon is made different and you can see the differences. My question is am I in violation of her rights because I posted my ribbon after she did??
Most likely not. You both may be in violation of the Smurfs trademark, but the general rule is that it must be an exact duplicate. Even a 10% difference could be enough to invalidate a trademark or copyright. However, unless she got the permission to use the Smurfs image,she can't claim a violation of her intellectual property rights because she doesn't own them.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.