Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Is there any way to stop company that breached contract from

Customer Question

Is there any way to stop company that breached contract from filling bankruptcy just to avoid lawsuit or settlement?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, absolutely none at all. If they are filing bankruptcy all you can do is file for a relief from stay and then file as creditor in their bankruptcy. But if they qualify for bankruptcy then I am afraid you are going to have to fight as a bankruptcy creditor.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does that means that we will not be able to recuperate our losses?
If they file bankruptcy you would not recover all of your losses and depending on how bad their debts are you may only recover pennies on the dollar or none at all if they go into bankruptcy. Of course this could also be a scare tactic to force a lower settlement and they may not actually qualify for bankruptcy.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well considering that they are part owned by very well known Transportation company with IPO of over 800 M, that could possibly be the case. I do have a feeling that they are using it as a scare tactics but i do have inside info that they also have some companies owe them considerable amount of money. So i would not like them to use other debts to clear their own debts.
Just because they are part owned by another solvent company, they are a separate company and could still end up bankrupt and it depends on their own debt/asset situation, not their parent company's.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Understood.
Thank you.