Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.

My email provider has informed me that they have received a

Customer Question

My email provider has informed me that they have received a subpoena from an individual/attorney who is looking to obtain my personal information (IP, email, etc), possibly to pursue a defamation case against me, but the reason is not mentioned in the subpoena. The attorney and his plaintiff is US based. I am based overseas however. Should I be worried?

I believe the subpoena can be quashed but I am unsure if it's worth fighting at this stage given the costs of them sending subpoenas to my ISP (overseas) etc. I am in Europe where I believe US matters and indeed subpoenas don't apply.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, quash it now. They count on low expenses to justify looking further. If the investigative costs pile up in a foreign country they are much more likely to drop it. In this case they would have to hire a lawyer there in the UK, as opposed to handling it themselves. Unless you know what they are looking for they are just as likely to be trolling for Intellectual Property issues (such as downloading movies, etc)

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience: Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. Is there any requirement to contact an attorney in the same State? Or can it be any state?

As the website was a whistle-blower type website I believe they would be looking at libel/defamation, that sort of thing, but the supoena makes no mention of it.

It is also worth mentioning that neither attorney nor plaintiff knows I am not in the US at this point. Or at least, have little reason to believe I am outside of the US.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
It should be the same state, although if it is served on a company in the UK or Europe you should be able to get it quashed there, which is what I was referring to. If it is a subpoena from a state court it has absolutely no jurisdiction there.