BizLawyerNate, Attorney
Experience:  7 Years of Legal Experience Representing Small Business Owners

I had an acc with a gym and they would charge my card monthly,

I had an acc with a gym and they would charge my card monthly, and i remember receiving a bill only once. But the card was cancelled, i went to the gym and asked them to cancel my acc and send me a bill for the cancellation fee. But they never did and a few months later i receive a letter from a lawer for a much larger amount. when i call them they say untill i go and pay the cancellation fee i will be charged the monthly amount plus the late fee. So right now the amount is in the 100s. any point on what to do, so they will reduce the amount? or Should i just go there and pay the fee plus they told me i have to pay for all those months alo.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  BizLawyerNate replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

This seems like a classic consumer protection issue. Fortunately, your state has a strong consumer protection statute. They cannot continue billing you just because you haven't paid the cancellation fee.

You need to contact the consumer protection division with the Florida Attorney General ( They will assign an attorney to investigate your case and seek penalties on your behalf, to involve erasing the debt.

I will be happy to follow up with you if you have additional questions. In the meantime, please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for answering your question. Of course, if you really liked what I could help you with, please consider a Bonus, too!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what will happen? will i have to pay for the services of that attorney also?

what may happen exactly?

The state does it, so you won't have to pay anything. They will investigate the situation and then will have the ability to fine the gym. The fine will be much more than you owe, so the gym will have to forgive you the debt they say you owe to avoid the fine.