JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in business formation and licensing issues
16110456

I have a telecommunications contract with XO Communications

I have a telecommunications contract with XO Communications which contains an "Evergreen Clause". The contract already rolled over once. We want to cancel our service and use another provider, and see that the contract provides for substantial finaicial penalty for cancellation prior to the term.

Are Evergreen Clauses valid and upheld in Michigan? Can I cancel without fear of reprisal?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 5 years ago.

I am an expert at JustAnswer and will be assisting you. I would like to address a few important issues before answering your question.

Please remember that I receive no credit for assisting you unless you accept my response. You cannot accept when I make an inquiry, rather you can only do so after you have received an answer. I answer questions based on the amount offered and rely on customers to follow through and "accept." Please remember that this is a chat or a dialogue so please reply to me if you have any questions regarding the information I provide.

Please note, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, no legal advice is being provided, no attorney-client relationship will be established and only general information is provided so that you may analyze your situation.

ANSWER:

Automatic renewal clauses are permissible. The law does not prohibit cancellation fees. I see that your contract is with a business service provider. No state or federal law prevents parties to a contract from agreeing to an automatic renewal clause.

Thank you