Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

As bonds are not insured and could loose value, what could

As bonds are not insured and could loose value, what could be the worst scenario for bond payments?
Good morning. Are these U.S. government bonds you are talking about?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Im checking.

Let me know...I'll be here. :)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Municipal tax free.

Thanks. Ok...municipal bonds are tax free, but they are not as secure as U.S. government bonds as they are only as good as the particular municipality. Municipalities do default; the U.S. government will never default on the bonds because it would essentially be the end of the U.S. economy. In terms of safeness of bonds, U.S. government bonds are at the top of the list, most municipal bonds...if you have a good bond advisor helping you are also very safe and secure, but these all have different you want to make sure you have a highly rated bond...i.e., a bond issued by the City of Houston is going to have a higher rating than one issued by a small town in South Carolina. You are still better off in good highly rated bonds than just cash because you are not going to earn anything on cash....but, if you don't need to earn any interest, but just want to preserve your principal, there is no risk in cash other than the decreased value due to time goes on it buys less.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have different intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply general information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Mine are Florida bonds. Economy here is real bad as you know with foreclosures and now cubans are sending money to Cuba to invest in real estate over there. What do you think about my Florida bonds?

I would tend to steer clear of Florida bonds, but it is still unlikely they will default because it pretty much shuts down their ability to borrow effectively....but I would steer clear of any state whose primary industry is tourism with the economy in the tank and going south.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you.