Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.

if i was in litigation between corps suing each other and i

Customer Question

if i was in litigation between corps suing each other and i was a founder of one of the companies, and i was being discovered and they subpoenaed my emails off my computer and my cell emails and txts, could my personal communication be used in court or in the discovery. i have nothing to hide regarding the litigation but have had emails sent thru my phone and computer that i would rather not be seen that are personal in nature, ie between me and my wife
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Generally speaking "personal" emails are beyond the scope of litigation, especially if they are not relevant to the subject matter. You may also be able to contest the subpoena and request that it be modified to permit you to withhold personal, private, and confidential communication between your spouse and possibly your counsel on grounds that it is both beyond the scope and also because the communication may fit under the spousal privilege and the attorney-client privilege as well.

Good luck.