Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

Hi Paul, A friend of mine has a piece of Art he purchased

Hi Paul,
A friend of mine has a piece of Art he purchased approx 15 yrs ago for $5,000.00 he bought it from the owner and has his receipts from where the seller purchased and the price he paid for the Art, he does not have a bill of sale he can't recall if he paid him cash or by check, he does have witnesses including the x-wife of the seller that he paid for the Art and that is not an issue except he would now like to donate the Art so he can benefit from the appreciated current appraisal for a tax write off, he now believes the seller sold him the Art cheap because he needed the quick cash,he thinks the seller is currently out of the country, he may be able to get a bill of sale but not sure; but knowing what he now knows he is concerned the seller was avoiding paying income tax and sold all his personal belongings.and took off with the cash. he is not sure what he should do if anything, what would you advise?
He should do nothing, after 15 years the IRS does not expect people to have receipts and it is understandable. All he has to do is list his purchase price and what the seller did or did not do is not your friend's issue.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”