Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
17027240

I have a debt with an apartment complex where they charged

I have a debt with an apartment complex where they charged me for damages I did not feel were legitimate. I sent an official letter contesting the debt and now a collection agency keeps harrassing me 3 years later. How long can they keep threatening to take me to court on a debt I do not believe I owe?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Hi there...Can you tell me in what state this occurred? Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Indiana. Specifically the town of Bloomington.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. The statute of limitations in Indiana on this debt is 6 years. But, if you want to stop the harassment, you can send them a certified, return receipt requested letter explaining why you do not owe this debt and demand they immediately cease and desist all further efforts to contact you and/or anyone else to collect this debt. Inform them that any efforts to do otherwise will constitute a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and that you will report each and every violation to the Federal Trade Commission. Each violation carries at least a $1,000 fine, so that should be the end of the harassment for you. After receiving this, they can only notify you if they are filing the suit or for any other required notices related thereto.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have different intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply general information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Attorney
Experience: 32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The letter sent outlined why we didn't owe the debt, and asked them to stop contacting us regarding the debt. I have a certified receipt they signed for. Can I report their calls at this point? Also, is it considered harassment for them to continually threaten to take me to court instead of sending me an official letter to that effect? They've been telling me for years that they are taking it to court and never actually do it.