socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

In Monterey Superior court of California are all judges allowed

In Monterey Superior court of California are all judges allowed to hear unlimited cases?Is anyone but Kingsley allowed to try unlimited cases?

DEPARTMENT 13
3rd Floor
Hon. Susan J. Matcham
Family Law Department
DEPARTMENT 13A
3rd Floor

Commissioner Heidi Whilden
Family Law & Motion Department
(Self Represented)
DEPARTMENT 14
2nd Floor
Hon. Kay T. Kingsley
Supervising Judge, Civil and Family Law Division
Civil Trial Department
Civil Law & Motion / Case Management

DEPARTMENT 15
2nd Floor
Hon. Lydia M. Villarreal
Civil Trial Department
Civil Law & Motion / Case Management

DEPARTMENT 16
1st Floor
Hon. Thomas W. Wills
Civil Trial Department
Civil Harassment Restraining Orders
Probate Department

DEPARTMENT 17
1st Floor
Hon. Larry E. Hayes
Civil Trial Department
Civil Harassment Restraining Orders
Civil DV Restraining Orders
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.
Any sitting judge can hear any case, regardless of the department to which the judge is assigned. The judges agree to accept assignments to different departments (traffic, small claims, limited, unlimited, criminal, probate, juvenile), but that distinction is only by agreement of the judge, because once elected to office, a California Superior Court judge is lawfully authorized to hear any case over which the Superior court has subject matter jurisdiction.

The list you provide shows what cases the judges have agreed to hear, and so that is what they will be assigned by the clerks office. Legally, however, the judge could walk into the clerk and demand a case outside of that agreement, and the clerk would have to provide it, if it were unassigned.

Obviously, a judge who decided to break with the established protocols would face a huge wave of resistance. But, legally, the judge could stand on ceremony and ultimately prevail.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser, Attorney
Experience: Retired (mostly)