dkennedy
dkennedy, Attorney
Experience:  JD degree, business owner
5930486

Got another question - if a person is looking at going back

Customer Question

Got another question - if a person is looking at going back to college or trade school to get "re-tooled" for this very challenging economy we're in, what kind of careers direction would you suggest looking at?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  dkennedy replied 3 years ago.

dklawyer :

Hello, It goes without saying that Computers are here to stay, but, I would say that you should consider any field that really interests you, but go for the "high tech" version. For instance, as an attorney, law offices are now looking at "paperless" documents--everything is scanned or emailed. Also, instead of keeping time by hand, there are computer programs which keep track. Secretaries or attorneys can use voice activated word processing programs, etc. etc.

dklawyer :

In the health field, things are going wildly high-tech. In some areas you don't even see a doctor except by video. Your vitals are transmitted somewhere else where he or she reviews them and then by video, gives you medical advice. Bio-engineering is a huge field.

dklawyer :

What I'm saying is, whatever you are interested in, make sure you concentrate on the "wave of the future" in that particular field. It's what everyone is looking for now, and will be more so in the future.

Customer :

Your responses are really interesting to read - I want to make an informed decision on this matter, so I am looking and reading and asking question and gathering all the bits of info together that I can - my interests are not very "hi-tech" so I'm not sure exactly, how to fit those pieces of the puzzle together, but your point is very important - many thanks -

dklawyer :

Consider interior decorating as a bizarre example. There are computer programs which allow you to set up a room, knock out a wall, paint it, etc. all virtually, to show the client what to do.

dklawyer :

What are your fields of interest?

Customer :

Cooking - gardening - antiques - writing - history - traveling - crafts -

dklawyer :

The very things I like, aside from cooking. But, let's say you go into the travel industry. You should be familiar with all the computer programs which bring up the best fares, info on the climate of the destinations, and specs of the cruise ship--whatever. Also, how to quickly process someone's credit card, how to fix a problem with a reservation for your clients, etc. There are so many new programs which keep minute by minute fares and safety concerns, etc. This would not take away from the travel itself, but the service is what people expect these days. You cannot go into almost anything without being conversant with the "latest".

dklawyer :

Even in antiques, I've been to auctions when hardly anyone was there. They were online, putting in their bid that way and the catalogues go out that way, too.

dklawyer :

Just being conversant with the subject area is not enough today. You have to know the "computer" component of the field.

dklawyer :

Best of luck to you.

Customer :

I agree with what you're saying 100% - I've been self-employed once, owner/operator of a teachers books store and totally enjoyed that experience - at the end of three years I had the shop, I realized it was the experience of being self-employed that I enjoyed the most. I could have been selling - oh, I dunno, used chopsticks for all it mattered - I would love to be slef-employed again, and I've tried to get conventional lenders interested, but no one is even vaguely interested - so this issue of getting my career skills in better shape seems the only way to go forward -

Customer :

Thanks for your good wishes - best of luck to you, too -

dklawyer :

You're so welcome.