MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements

A dentist and myself want to partner in a practice. I am not

A dentist and myself want to partner in a practice. I am not a dentist. How is this possible? If we file a c-corp will that work? Sears does this, how can they do it? Illinoi based.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Unfortunately Illinois prohibits the corporate practice of law, save hospitals employing physicians.

While licensed hospitals and hospital affiliates may employ
licensed physicians if they meet certain requirements (see
210 Ill. Comp. Stat. 85/10.8 (2005),Berlin v. Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Ctr., 688 N.E.2d 106, 113 (Ill. 1997), other corporate entities are prohibited from doing so.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do we get around this? will I have to start my own corp. and be his management company?
You could buy the building where the practice will operate out of and charge the practice for lease but you cannot own a portion of the medical practice. In the alternative, you could acts as a billing service for the practice and charge a percentage of net collections for billing and management services.