Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

We are a web-based business located in Maryland, non-retail,

We are a web-based business located in Maryland, non-retail, selling online through our website. We are considering opening a 'virtual office' in another state. Virtual meaning it is simply an address to advertise locally in that area. All work is still done in Maryland, products ship from Maryland. Do sales from that state need to be charged that states sales tax. 

The virtual location in located in washington, dc 
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: We are a web-based business located in Maryland, non-retail, selling online through our website. We are considering opening a 'virtual office' in another state. Virtual meaning it is simply an address to advertise locally in that area. All work is still done in Maryland, products ship from Maryland. Do sales from that state need to be charged that states sales tax.

Response: Yes, because you are considered doing business in the State by your "virtual" presence in the State. Also, you would have to register the business with the office of the Secretary of State in the State where the virtual office would be located in order to do business in that State.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
would this apply to using a PO Box in washington, dc as well?

Response: Yes.