Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.
11068102

How long do you have to bring a civil action for damages suffered

How long do you have to bring a civil action for damages suffered during the course of a crime in Mississippi? the crime was theft and home invasion, if damages are still scouring as a result of the act does the time run from now?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
You have one year from the time the incident occurred, not when the damages occur. So under your facts, 1 year from the date of the home invasion.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What about violations of civil rights? 4 and 14 th by the county sheriff a patrolman and an investigator? How long?

Are the criminal statutes of limitations also one year for home invasion grand theft and theft of a motor vehicle?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
The Civil Rights law doesn't have a statute of limitations so the court would apply the state one, which would be a year as well.

There are statutes of limitations for criminal acts, you can find them in a chart at http://law.findlaw.com/state-laws/criminal-statute-of-limitations/mississippi/

It is likely 2 years, but crimes can be charged in different ways for the same crime.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Murder, manslaughter, arson, burglary, forgery, counterfeiting, robbery, larceny, rape, embezzlement, obtaining money under false pretenses of property: none; felonious abuse or battery of child, sexual battery of a child, exploitation of children, touching child for lustful purposes: on or before child's 21st birthday; all others: 2 yrs.
Felonies have no limitation in Mississippi. yippee!
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
Best wishes to you