RGMacEsq
RGMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Why do I need a Retail Installment seller license as a Air

Why do I need a Retail Installment seller license as a Air conditioning Contractor
Category: Business Law
Expert:  RGMacEsq replied 5 years ago.

RGMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

RGMacEsq :

Will you offer your services on a credit plan? That is, you don't have to be paid before or immediately after completion?

Customer:

No

RGMacEsq :

So you're going to require immediate payment?

Customer:

Yes

RGMacEsq :

Did someone tell you that you would need a retail installment seller license?

Customer:

Yes, Baker Financing a company that finances unit change outs.

RGMacEsq :

So there is financing going on? That is, the units that you're putting in / servicing / etc... are being financed, and you're the point person?

Customer:

correct

RGMacEsq :

So essentially (let me know if I got this right...) you are contracted out to service / inspect / etc... AC units, and if one is in need of replacement, you recommend (?) a specific unit, and complete the paperwork for the unit? You're paid by the financing company and not the customer then, correct?

Customer:

correct

RGMacEsq :

Then legally speaking, you're engaging in retail installment transactions. Even if you're not the ultimate financier of the credit, you're still selling them. Furthermore, even if you were not doing so, your employer could require it of you as a condition to continued employment. That's the nature of at-will relationships. But in this instance, since you're the point person on these contracts, you're still providing installment contracts, and as such, you do need to be licensed under Florida general statute 520.32 to do so.

RGMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please select the "accept" button. If you have already clicked "accept", or if you will in the future, please let me know so I can track these for my own reports and customer satisfaction stats. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!