Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

In the 10th federal district can I dismiss fewer than all defendants

In the 10th federal district can I dismiss fewer than all defendants under 41(a)(1)(A)? I had filed a 41(a)(1)(A) voluntary dismissal against one defendant but now I am worried that since all claims in my complaint were against all defendants, the dismissal of the claims against the one would dismiss all defendants. I had asked the court for leave to file an amended complaint before filing the 41(a)(1) that didnt name the defendant I dismissed in all claims - but the court hadnt responded to that yet.
No, a plaintiff can dismiss individual parties to the suit and dismissing one party does not mean that all other parties need to be dismissed.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”