Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

Where can I read up on cases where lawyers have a conflict

Where can I read up on cases where lawyers have a conflict of interest between their position as General Counsel to a corporation while at the same time being the Litigating Attorney defending cases against the same corporation. I am in South Carolina.
PJ
Why do you think that creates a conflict of interest?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What creates a conflict is if the attorney knows of wrongdoing on the part of the What creates a conflict is if the attorney knows of wrongdoing on the part of the corporation and/or its board of directors it would be his duty to advise the corporation of the risks inherent in pursuing that - let’s call it tortious course of action.

Now in his role as litigating attorney, he either (a) does not disclose it to an opposing party litigating against the corporation even in the face of the litigant directly pursuing the possibility of the fraudulent activity as part of his discovery, OR (b) the attorney actively and knowingly gives false information to the litigant in an attempt to cover-up the fraud or torts.

It seem to me that there must be something written in case law, court rules, or rules of professional conduct that would define where such an attorney should step aside and recuse himself so as not to be guilty of even a perceived conflict of interest.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

Look at rules 1.6- 1.10 at the link below:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/ethics/sc/code/SC_CODE.HTM

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at http://www.attorneysaccess.com/ or http://www.martindale.com/.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".

Maverick, Attorney
Experience: 20 years of professional experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Maverick,

I already have a copy of the SC Rules of Professional Conduct.

What I was hoping for is a case or two that I could use as a reference. I know that my case is a bit complicated. My specific problem is not JUST that this opposing attorney lied to me but that he actually made-up stories to cover up his client's fraud. These cover-ups and lies are exacerbated by the fact that he is also General Counsel to the corporation which carries with it the additional responsibilities to actually take steps to either stop or mitigate his client's actions, or to disclose them under direct questioning.

If you can't locate anything further on this, then we can go ahead and close it out. Thanks.

If you want cases to help you understand the rules, then you will need to go to a local law library and find an annotated version of the rules. There, under each rule, you will find the cases that have been decided for that rule.

http://west.thomson.com/code-of-laws-south-carolina-1976-annotated-statute-series/1968/13510197/productdetail

Maverick, Attorney