MDLaw
MDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in business law, contract law and related matters.
16277701

Up until last week, my uncle, age 67, had been employed as

Up until last week, my uncle, age 67, had been employed as a full time cashier for more than six years at the local Lowe's Home Improvement store (in the state of Massachusetts). He always received stellar work evaluations, never missed a day for any reason, always showed up to work even in the worst weather (while other employees called in sick), and even filled in when called upon by store management on his days off (when other employees, again, called in sick). The reason for his termination (or "lay-off" to use their term) was to "cut expenses". I realize the economy is in a funk and they have a business to run, but I can't help but think his age had something to do with it. Is there any type of recourse here?

Thanks in advance . . .

Frustrated in Mass
If he has reason to believe that age was a motivating factor, his legal recourse would be to file a complaint with the EEOC (www.eeoc.gov) and/or to hire an employment attorney.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. Otherwise, please remember to hit the green ACCEPT button as that is the only way that we experts get compensated for our time, expertise, and research. We do not get paid by the website and so we rely on customers to honor the honor system and accept our responses so that we can continue to provide this service to people such as yourself. When leaving feedback, please also remember that we experts do not make the laws. We only report what the laws are and so please do not shoot the messenger.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there any material you can direct me to online with respect to age discrimination?
You can find information on the EEOC's website (www.eeoc.gov).