lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 35 years of business experience.
15417118

Hi, Im an international student with F1 visa. I have a

I'm an international student with F1 visa.
I have a business idea and I want a U.S citizen to legally operate the company based on my idea. I've consulted an immigration lawyer. Being a passive investor could be a potential solution.

I have the following questions for you:
1. I'm wondering if I can offer strategy, offer the technical support (build website and app) BEFORE the formation of the business.
2. I know I can't receive the 'income' from the firm. Rather, I receive dividends as shareholder.
3. Do you recommend LLC or C-corporations, given that the president/CEO is a U.S citizen (also other employees are citizens or permanent residents)?

Thank you
I have the following questions for you:

While you can build it, I would not publish it to the web. You need to keep control to be sure that you get paid.

There is nothing preventing you from receiving income. You can get both.

An LLC would be my recommendation but you need to have a signed operating agreement in place. That is a must.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, my concern is that I'm on F1 visa. That's what all the questions are based on. Thank you.
I understand. There is no prohibition on a foreign national owning a portion of a US LLC.