Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

Hello, I am curious how one would go ahead with creating

I am curious how one would go ahead with creating multiple companies that would do some business with each other.

example: company A has a need for technical development of a new system, so company A would pay company B. This system would be developed by company B. Since the product vision and idea was company A's, company B would then pay risiduals to company A if that product was sold to another party.

Now my question is can an owner of company A have a vested interest in company B and visa versa. I did research a while ago and i thought it came down to "how much of a vested interest" each person had before it was a conflict of interest or reporting the income/expenses for each had to be disclosed in a certain manner?
There is no conflict of interest in the system you describe and it is done all of the time. You can create multiple companies to do business with one another and there is no vested interest maximums of ownership. What happens for example is company A will be formed, they will own the patent or copyright on some item. Then they form Company B which they will use to manufacture the item and sell it sometimes to even Company C which will then distribute the product. All of these companies can have the exact same owners and as long as they keep separate bank accounts and separate functions, they are considered separate companies and each has its own function even though it is owned by the same person or persons.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am very satisfied with your answer just alittle more to add to clairify...

So person A could have 50% ownership of company A, that does business with company B he may only have 10-20% interest in?

Also how does it look if a married couple has seperate interest, wife 10%, husband 25%, does that get viewed as one? or do they maintain there indivdiaulity?

And lets say as a business manager i consult with both for a fee? still no conflict?

Yes as long as the board of each company are aware of the ownership there is no problem with this. The married couple is seen as individual ownership. As far as consulting for both companies that is permissible as long as you are paid by each company separately.