Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

Can a US company start a C-Corp and NOT have it be a subsi

Can a US company start a C-Corp and NOT have it be a subsidiary?
Yes, it happens all of the time, the company does not have to be a subsidiary of the owner corporation. Corporations own other corporations all of the time and not all of the corporations they own are subsidiaries of the main corporation. A subsidiary is one that shares resources or personnel, but if there is no sharing of resources or personnel the it is not a subsidiary.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”