Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.
11068102

I purchased a car for 12,000 i gave them 9,000 cash at time

I purchased a car for 12,000 i gave them 9,000 cash at time of purchase then was suppost to give the the balance due of 3,000 that following week but I didnt because i was in hospital for 3wks when i came home the car was gone the sheriff said it was repossed. The salesman is no longer works there and the manager has not called me back. My question is do i get my 9,000 back they did not finance the purchase this was our purchase agreement.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
If they didn't maintain a lien on the car then they had no right to repo it. In addition, if you were unable to make the payment due to something like going to the hospital there is a good chance that a judge would either make them give you the $9000 back or the car. You would need to file in small claims court.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your answer but how would I know if they did put a lien on car

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
Their name would have been listed on the title.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Im so sorry but all the paper work was in car but I dont think i received a title so i would only assume they were on tiltle and do you think sending a demand letter is a good idea under what law or bussiness practice could I find this info that way I stop bothering you :)