Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.

My business partner I are interested in purchasing a US shelf

My business partner I are interested in purchasing a US shelf company for the purposes of investing in real estate in the USA. Would it be best if we create a Corporation in Canada first then have our canadian corporation purchase this USA company?
Submitted: 5 years ago via LawDepot.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

I am not sure you need to do all that. U.S. law permit non-citizens or non-US residents to create their own Foreign Corporation in the U.S. so long as it is registered properly in the state, and has a proper agent and a U.S. address in the state where registered. Therefore you can even create a U.S. entity first and then purchase the business through it, or buy the U.S. entity outright so long as you maintain a U.S. based agent. You do not have purchase it first via a Canadian vehicle.

Good luck.