Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Five years ago I started a Medical corporation. I have added

Five years ago I started a Medical corporation. I have added three more shareholders to the corporation and about to add one more. Recently, the corporation had been valued at 12 million dollars. Would it be illegal if the other shareholders dissolved the current corporation and transfered all assets and liabilities to another corporation only for the purpose of excluding one of the shareholder's share of the value of the company? Would there be any grounds for a lawsuit to capture back their share and also penalties for malicious intent?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
The shareholders cannot dissolve a corporation and exclude a legal shareholder from their share of the proceeds from the corporation. While the majority of shareholders can vote to close the company, if they do not pay everyone their shares, the party who does not get paid would have a suit against the company and other shareholders.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”