MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
17924466

We participate in a group health club membership that we each

We participate in a group health club membership that we each pay in to every month. My dues for the year amount to $864. We pay monthly and have paid two month's in advance. Payments are due on the first of each month. Because of my financial situation and the fact that I have several bills due on the first I usually end up paying my dues by the 10th at the latest, usually around the 6th or 7th.

I am receiving threatening phone calls from the person who manages this group effort. This person is telling me that if I do not pay by the first, he will cancel our membership without further warning. I am interested to know what my rights are in this circumstance. Because of the dollar amount are we affected by the UCC?...further, because of the dollar amount and the fact that we have no written agreement for this transaction, how does the UCC (or other statutes) affect this transaction?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. The UCC governs the sale of goods, not services. The contract entered into governs the agreement between the parties and establishes either party's right to terminate upon breach. Unfortunately, there is no statutory support for the notion that one is permitted to pay late but not have a health club membership canceled. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.