Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.

I own a small restaurant. Recently I had a couple working

Customer Question

I own a small restaurant. Recently I had a couple working for me, they both quit on the same day. The wife has been causing me havoc since she quit. She has called the health department, and the BBB with outrageously false claims. She has even called our local news station with false claims. She even filed a claim with the Texas Workforce Commission that I was not going to pay her, which was false! I have heard from numerous people that she is going around saying horrible things about my restaurant. I have worked very hard for years to build up my business. What can I do to protect myself and my business from this woman's slanderous comments?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

I am sorry to hear that you are in this situation.

About the only thing you can do is threaten, and if it does not help, pursue a petition against the women on grounds of defamation, harassment, and tortious interference with a business interest. All of those claims will permit you to seek actual damages from her, such as attorney fees, lost profits, loss of reputation, and loss of revenue. Ultimately you can make it so expensive for the other person to speak that each time she does say something, it ends up costing her more money. Usually that is the best way to try to get the other person to cease and desist her behavior.

Good luck.