Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

open a bank account under a stage name

Customer Question

Hello, I am an actor and model based in New York using a stage name of which only the first name differs from my legal name (and it can be a shortened version for my full first name). I do not wish to change my name legally-I also just got an official court document stating my legal AKA name (alongside my legal names); that document is basically a name change court order that has the stage name added as a legal AKA. I went to my bank with that document hoping to either open a separate bank account or have a checkbook and a debit/credit card with the stage name only, but they said they wouldn't be able to do that since my ID still has only my legal name...the only they could do was to add the AKA so I can cash checks (but I have already been doing that even before I had the court document). I would like to own a checkbook, debit/credit card for that name since at times I incur out-of-pocket expenses for which in order to get reimbursed I have to submit receipts and I would like for those receipts to carry the stage name? And also when I have to write checks for classes/services that are related to my business as an actor/model? Thanks in advance!
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 5 years ago.

bizlaw :

You can file a business name certificate which lists your fictitious trade name under which you perform. That will allow you to open the bank account using your true ID. The trade name filing shows your true identity so that using your stage name is not deceptive.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. It would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.