Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

how quickly can one convert from a c corp to an s corporation

how quickly can one convert from a c corp to an s corporation and is it costly? Can one change the name of a company or go through a buy out and restructure under an s corp? Is it legal like CNN reported on the moving of U.S. companies to Ireland to enjoy their low 7% tax rate?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
This is a check the box selection with the IRS and with the state department of revenue and does not take much at all. You go to the IRS website and they have forms for converting the C-Corp to an S-Corp and all shareholders have to agree and you contact the state department of revenue for their form as well. It is legal and happens all of the time, but there are some tax burdens that may occur with unrealized profits of the C-Corp and you need to sit with your tax professional to examine those as well.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Have you heard about US companies moving their businesses to Ireland to benefit from their 7% tax rate?
Yes, but I have heard of more of them moving to Panama, Cayman Islands, Belize, Nevis St. Kitts than I have Ireland. You can go to for more information.