MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements

I had a roofing business that failed and i could not pay back

I had a roofing business that failed and i could not pay back a 28,000. line of credit with a supply house.i tried working with them and payed them 2,ooo.00 and they sent me documents to sign that i would be personally responsible for this i didnot sign this document because the business owed this,they said they would send another document that would allow me to make payments and also give me a 10,000 line of credit so i could continue working my business and that would help me pay back the loan.they never sent this form and hired a collection agency out of florida that threatened me,now they served me papers on a civil suit and the documents they provided someone had forged my signuature on the credit applicaation.i have shut down that business,can they come after my new business?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Is your new business set up as a separate entity from you (e.g. LLC, Inc.)? Also, what evidence do you have the document was forged?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it is llc,and the documents that is like a credit application that was sent to me by the sheriff the signatures for personally is not my signature,also when they turned it over to a collection agency out of florida the end of december 2010,is the collection sueing me or is the company sueing me.i thought when they sold your debt to a collection agency they are no longer involved.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX agency is likely suing you and the company, such that if a judgment is entered against the company you would be liable for the judgment. It is not necessarily true that the debt was sold to a collection agency, sometimes a creditor will hire a collection agency to collect on a debt without selling the debt to the collection agency. Regarding your new business, it would not be involved in this litigation, nor would its assets. Please let me know if you have
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can they come after me personally or just the old company?
They will rely on the forged signature to come after you personally, you in turn need to argue and prove that the signature is a forgery.