Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
17027240

Hello - I am purchasing a restaurant. Is it best to start an

Hello - I am purchasing a restaurant. Is it best to start an LLC or S Corp?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good evening. There is really very little difference between an LLC or an S Corp...both are limited liability entities and both are flow-through tax entities...which are the two major things you are focused on. But, the LLC offers a bit more flexibility so I would recommend you go the LLC route because: i) anyone can be a member of an LLC while only individuals and certain trusts can be members of a S Corp; and ii) if you are going to have different levels of members and preferential allocations and/or distributions, it's more easily done in the LLC. So, botXXXXX XXXXXne...do the LLC.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello - since the restaurant is in Texas, do I need to incorporate in Texas?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

You do not need to, but if you incorporate someone else, you will need to qualify the corporation to do business in Texas.

I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How does that work?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
You can do this online at the Texas Secretary of State website.....the application for Registration of Foreigin Entity can be completed and filed on line.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would you agree with this approach? Does it make a difference?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
I would recommend you form your entity in Texas.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a company set up for my rental home. I can't use the same company for the restaurant,correct? I have a partner that has a company as well. Can we file a DBA?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
The problem with putting the restaurant in the same company as your rental house is that they are cross-contaminated...meaning a problem with one is going to bring down the other. Yes, you can file a DBA.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks!