MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
17924466

we own a small c corporation which is our family business.

we own a small c corporation which is our family business. we want to make me an officer which i am not at present. how do we proceed
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Are you replacing an existing officer or is a new position being created?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my wife holds position of pres., vp, sec, and treas since she founded the business while i was employed elsewhere. we want to give me a title so i can opt out of workers comp and save some money
Ok, so the C-Corp is essentially creating a position/title for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have been employed here since 1997, but am not an officer though I am involved in everyday decisions. We are a retail store with my wife and I being the only full time employees. We have 4 part-time employees. She is now legally the vp, but want to give me that position so I can opt out of workers comp, This will in no way change the nature of our business, but will allow us to save some money. We have been married for 32 years.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX members of the C-Corp must hold a shareholders meeting to vote you in as the officer under the titled deemed most appropriate, the minutes would reflect the outcome of the vote and you would then be installed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do I need to file this info with the state of North Carolina or do we just need to have the meeting? Thanks >C>
The meeting would be held, then the minutes would be kept on file with the C-Corp. Not filed with the state until the annual filings.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am so sorry. I mean we are an S corp and not a C corp. Please forgive me.
Not a problem, this does not change the answer however.
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience: Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements